All the contacts that you import are automatically added to all subscribers list. You can create filters from all subscribers, based on parameters. Since there are different options to import contacts, you first need to think through, what is going to be the structure of your database and then choose the appropriate importing option.
How to choose the correct importing option?
1. One big database. If you are sending newsletters to everyone and do not segment your contacts, then you can import the emails as a file. Read more on how to import contacts as a file.
2. One database, but segmented. If you have a big subscribers list and would like to segment them (based on gender, language, age etc..), you need to import all the extra info as well with the emails. You still import the contacts as a file, but also add extra parameters before importing. Read more on how to create parameter based contact lists.
3. One database, but temporary segmentation for one campaign. If you are usually sending your newsletters to one big database, but need a smaller audience for one newsletter, then you can create temporary filters. Temporary filter is based on parameter "modified" and the contacts stay in the filter as long their last modified date equals the filter's modified date. Read more here.
If you have any questions regarding importing contacts, cotact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Importing subscribers from file is the fastest and easiest way to upload your whole subscribers list to your Smaily account. You can add different parameters for later segmentation (e.g birthday, name, address, country etc.) or just import emails without any extra information.
Preparing the file
You can upload contact lists with Excel and CSV files (ODS/XLS/XLSX/CSV). If you choose to use a CSV file, please note that you need to use the UTF-8 encoding and change the delimiter to be a semicolon.
Please make sure that all the email addresses in the Excel file are in one column (without empty rows in between) and the title of the column is "Email" (or email, e-post, epost, Email Address). It is important that the emails are all on the first sheet of the file. If there are more sheets, only the first one is imported (it doesn't matter which sheet was active when saving the file).
If an email address appears in the file twice, it will be uploaded to the database only once - it means there won't be any duplicates. Also, if you import an email for the second time, it won't create a duplicate in the database, all the emails in the database are unique values.
You can import almost unlimited number of other necessary parameters like birthday*, first name, language, city, client code, limit, some unique coupon code etc, which are later necessary for creating filters. To do that, add columns in Excel next to the email column. You can name those columns whatever you like, just be aware that you use the same column name for the same data each time you import new lists.
When you have the file ready and saved, open your Smaily account, go to the "Subscribers" page and click on "Add subscribers".
A new window appears, where on the first tab you can import contacts by file. You can add a file by dragging the file in the box or upload it from your computer and then click on "Upload".
2. Importing multiple contacts without a file.
If you can't or don't need to import contacts with a file, there is a possibility to import multiple contacts to Smaily by copy-pasting. You can only import emails like this, but not any extra fields.
Go to the contacts tab and click on the "Add subscribers" button.
Select the tab "Add multiple subscribers at once" and copy-paste email addresses to the empty import field. You can add only one email address per line. When ready click on "Import subscribers".
All the imported emails will be added to All subscribers list.
3. Adding contacts one by one
You can also add one contact at a time. Open "Contacts" tab and click on "Add subscribers". Open the third tab "Add one subscriber" and fill out all the information you need (email, birthday etc.). You can fill out all prevoiusly added parameters as well.
If you want to upload a subscribers list without any parameters just create a simple Excel file with only emails (we recommed the .xls file format). The emails should all be in one column (without empty rows in between) and the title of the column is "Email" (or email, e-post, epost, Email Address). Other parameters are optional.
When you have the file ready, go to the "Subscribers" page and click on "Add subscribers".
A new window appears, where you can browse your file or drag it there. Then click on "Upload".
You can also save your contact list to a date and time based filter, if you make a checkmark in front of "Create a filter (list) automatically".
A list imported with the time filter is temporary, because when you upload the same or some of the same contacts again, they will move out from the older list, because their timestamp in the database is renewed. To create a permanent contact list, add additional fields to your contacts when importing them (see here).
*Importing date data: Importing dates with CSV or with ODS/XLS/XLSX works a little differently. From a CSV file, the dates are imported as is, for example, if they are formatted mm/dd/yy, it will be uploaded exactly the same way. But with XLS/XLSX/ODS files, the date is converted to the format yyyy-mm-dd (or yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss). So if you are importing birthdays, please check that the birthday data in the CSV file is exactly in the format of yyyy-mm-dd, or change the file type to ODS/XLS/XLSX .
|← Creating a template||Creating a campaign →|